Most dog owners typically want their pets to eat the same quality of food as they do. The interest in fresh dog food has increased after more research and comparison revealed their high nutrient levels. Typical kibble is superheated during the processing stage, so all nutrients are burned off though additives are sprayed on. Despite the convenience and shelf life boasted, kibble’s preservatives may harm dogs in the long run. Fresh dog food contributes to healthy eating practices and reduces the chances of dogs getting cancer. The best dog food delivery service brands today offer not only nutrient-rich food but also USDA certified, so it is very safe, and there are higher quality standards compared to commercial dog food.
The Best Fresh Dog Food Brands of 2022
Although more pricey than other brands, Spot and Tango comes out as the best fresh dog food in terms of customization of meals depending on a dog’s needs as well as having locally-sourced, clean ingredients. According to the top-selling points and our research, the following are the rest of the leading fresh dog food services in the market.
Our Favorite: Spot and Tango
Spot and Tango provide high-quality locally sourced ingredients and are very good at personalized meal plans. These depend on the breed, fitness, energy, and the dog’s health problems.
- There is a diversity of ingredients, and they are locally sourced, meaning elements are GMO-free.
- Spot and Tango offer convenience as the dog food is delivered to the customer’s door.
- There is a money-back guarantee if the dog does not like it the first time.
- It is also convenient to serve as all one has to do is defrost the wet food.
- It is one of the pricier options compared to other fresh dog food brand options.
- They also utilize proprietary recipes.
Spot and Tango products are only available through the website. New clients would take a quiz that asks about their breed, activity levels, weight, and particular tastes. There are also only high-quality human-grade ingredients with no chemical preservatives, meat by-products, or artificial flavoring. Spot and Tango also maintain that the food is prepared in small batches using an FDA-approved kitchen. Meal plans can start at $7 per week for unkibble or $15 for fresh food options.
See our full Spot and Tango review.
High Nutrient Recipes: The Farmer’s Dog
The Farmer’s dog is a great option for people who want to change to an affordable fresh food diet that is still high quality. These grain-free, high nutrient recipes are of the best quality.
- They use human-grade ingredients with no preservatives, so they are organic.
- The food is delivered within days of cooking and is flash-frozen, so the nutrients are preserved.
- There are auto shipping opportunities for customers, and it is possible to adjust the frequency.
- The Farmer’s Dog offers very effective customer service.
- The food is typically fresh, so it is necessary to keep dog food frozen and transfer it back to the freezer after portioning.
Customers can choose beef, chicken, turkey, and pork recipes as the main proteins. As for fruits and vegetables, there is bok choy, lentils, sweet potato, chickpeas, carrot, and spinach. Each of these has specific nutrients that are great for dogs as well. Luckily these fresh recipes are delivered right to the customer’s doorstep and packed with dry ice to keep the items frozen. You get all of the items with a pamphlet of information. The Farmer’s dog also bases the pricing on age, weight, and other similar factors. Tiny dogs, for example, are fed with $2 a day, while larger breeds would require upwards of $8 daily.
Learn more through our detailed The Farmer’s Dog review.
Diverse Meals: Just Food for Dogs
Just food for dogs is known for diverse and balanced meals for customers. It is because the platform offers fresh food, supplements treats, and custom RX options.
- There are no preservatives or byproducts, which means the food is completely organic.
- There are a variety of recipes to choose from, considering the six different food types.
- The food is made with human-grade ingredients for quality
- There is no subscription required though auto-ship options can be utilized.
- The dogs’ feeding amounts vary depending on the food type and recipe.
Food packs have to be taken back to the freezer to thaw as fresh food cannot be left out all day, the same as kibble. Just Food for Dogs also makes the food within USDA-inspected kitchens in California, New York, and Washington.
They are also staffed all of the time by safety expects and consultants who would assist you in choosing the most appropriate food for your dog. The meals appear like real human food, so it is very palatable for dogs. Everything is chopped up and mixed together, but you can identify the particular ingredients, such as carrots and beef. Just food for dogs is one of the pricier options as the food starts at $5.95, though you can save 35% on the first auto-ship order.
Our Just Food For Dogs review gives all the details!
Most Affordable: PetPlate
It is the most affordable fresh dog food delivery service while offering higher quality than commercial dog food.
- The food is human grade and certified by the USDA. It also utilizes fresh dog foods ingredients without any use of preservatives.
- PetPlate has a diverse array of ingredients, including beef, chicken, lamb, pork, and venison.
- Auto-shipping is possible, though customers can pause or stop the orders anytime.
- PetPlate offers responsive customer service.
- It comes in bulk, so it takes a lot of the freezer space
- The criteria for filling in does not consider some health issues but only food sensitivity.
PetPlate meals are made with the highest human-grade ingredients accumulated by a team of specialists. They are also proportioned for convenience though bulk orders can be a lot to tackle. PetPlate had six flavors: turkey, pork, venison, and beef. The brand offers a topper plan for 25% of the full meals in line with the low-budget options. The pricing is based on factors like weight, age, and activity levels. Smaller dogs can be fed $2.5 worth every day, which is on the full meal plan. A larger dog, though, would require closer to $6.5 a day, depending on the health problems, allergies, and age.
Read the full guide on our PetPlate review.
Great For Sensitive Tummies: Ollie
Ollie dog food features high-quality ingredients with the goal of palatability and digestibility. It is the dog food of choice for pets that have sensitive tummies.
- Highly digestible food options can improve some of the chronic health issues.
- Dogs that eat dog food tend to have less odorous feces.
- The dog food is delivered to your door, so there is convenience.
- Ollie dog food does not utilize artificial flavors or soy.
- It is more work as compared to feeding the dog kibble.
- Ollie is not suitable for training work, especially if you use the dog’s food as a training reward.
The goal of Ollie is to provide a convenient experience considering the variety of recipes and the delivery to one’s doorstep. There are four types of meat protein as such which include beef, lamb, turkey, and beef. For fruits and vegetables, there are spinach, blueberries, and rosemary in the recipes. Each of them has a specific advantage nutrient-wise, so there is minimal wastage. Ollie’s recipes are also minimally processed to reduce nutrient loss. The batches are also tested to maintain the same levels of quality. They also go through a metal detector to make sure there are no foreign materials. The pricing is also one of the best alternatives within the fresh dog food market. It costs between $3.5 a day for small dogs and $11 daily for large dogs.
Our Ollie Dog Food review will give you all the details you need.
Slow-Cooked Meals: A Pup Above
A Pup Above is known for nutrient-fresh slow-cooked food, which means it is delicious but still affordable for customers.
- The dog food is slow-cooked to make sure the nutrients are retained
- There is BPA-free packaging for the raw ingredients, so it is a sustainable dog food option.
- It is easy to subscribe and save for the clientele
- The dog food is palatable and digestible, so it would be advisable for dogs with sensitive tummies.
- There are no customized meal plans, so it is not convenient for dogs with rare health conditions.
- There are no free shipping alternatives which is the case with other subscription options within the United States.
The meal recipes from A Pup Above focus significantly on protein as they offer 11.48 grams per 100 kcals. Other fresh dog food options offer around 7 grams per kcal. It is a good alternative then not only for dogs with sensitivity but also for energetic, active dogs. A Pup Above is also sustainable as they support those farms dedicated to regenerative agriculture. Their ingredients are sourced from these places. The dog delivery platform utilizes sous-vide, a slow cooking approach that retains as many nutrients as possible. Subscription to orders is also optional depending on the preference of the customer. However, the majority of service subscriptions are flexible. The bag prices the recipes, so you can purchase a 3 or 7-pound bag. Prices begin at $3 a day as well.
Check out our A Pup Above review.
Certified by Vet Nutritionists: Nom Nom
Nom Nom is one of the best fresh dog foods that ship their fresh dog food directly to customers’ homes. They also provide pre-portioned packs of fresh dog food, so it is also convenient.
- There is a variety of meals, including grain-free and gluten-free options.
- Nom Nom also offers a sample variety pack so customers can try the food out before subscribing.
- Auto shopping is also possible, so you can pause or stop at will
- There is a money-back guarantee as well if the customer is not satisfied with the results.
- It is not possible to select the shipping time or day of the week.
- Customers have to contact support, so they can customize the recipe combinations.
Customers have to make an account on the Nom Nom website to answer several questions about the dog. These are about the breed, age, and level of activity. Unlike the majority of dog foods, the recipes are also certified by a board-certified vet nutritionist. It is also sustainably sourced and strives to ensure there is zero food wastage from the facilities. Aside from the affordable pricing, there is a full money-back guarantee. All of the recipes also meet the guidelines of the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). The full meal price is $48.51 a week, and the sample variety pack is $15.
Discover more through our Nom Nom Dog Food review.
Best Raw Diet: We Feed Raw
It is the prime option for dog owners who would like to transition to raw food. This is good for dogs with allergies and sensitive stomachs because of its digestibility.
- The meals are human-grade which mean they are of high quality.
- It is also safe for dogs of every life stage.
- We Feed Raw has easily customized food depending on the preferences and health issues.
- There are no fillers and preservatives, which indicates completely organic food.
- There is a risk of contagion because of the raw food and limited shelf life.
- Customers can also only get small batches of food because there is a potential for the food to spoil.
The animal protein ingredient options from We Feed Raw include lamb, duck, turkey, and venison. They also only use the best human-grade meat as the lamb and venison is sourced from New Zealand, the rest of the meat is sourced from sustainable local farms in the United States. The recipes are also made in human-grade certified kitchens and adhere to the global standard for food safety. We feed raw packs are priced from $32.99 to $37, which can be fed to the dog in a week.
On our We Feed Raw review, we tackle everything about this dog food delivery service.
Fresh Dog Food vs. Other Dog Food Types
Fresh dog food is increasingly popular because of the numerous advantages offered. While dogs can survive on traditional dry or canned food, there are significant benefits to be gained when they eat fresh foods. As such, human-grade food made with high-quality ingredients assists in building strong immunity . It also offers better digestibility as the ingredient lists on commercial pet food bags bulk up the protein percentages. Switching the dog to a fresh food diet helps dogs maintain the right body weight, resulting in a longer lifespan.
Does Your Dog Need Fresh Food?
Deciding to switch to fresh food depends on the apparent situation with the dog. If there are chronic problems with digestibility or increased weight gain all of a sudden, these are signs that your dog needs a change of diet. The reason is that fresh food is more digestible than commercial kibble, which has harmful preservatives. Fresh food has few additions, so not much is wasted. Rather, all of it is used for nutritional purposes. Similarly, if the dog tends to suffer from parvo a lot, it tends to have a lackluster coat. That would be a sign to switch to a fresh food diet. Fresh food has nutrients that improve immunity while also improving its fur and skin. Fresh food may be more expensive than commercial kibble, but it is worth it in the long term.
Is Fresh Dog Food Safe?
Fresh food is very safe for dogs, so they would prefer the taste compared to dry dog food. It is also because the ingredients are minimally processed. Freshly prepared dog food also appears better as the results have been illustrated in marked health improvements. The typical fillers within pet food are gains such as soy or corn, and these offer nutritional value, but in excess, they are detrimental to the dog’s health. That is why these are not included in most fresh dog foods. Preservatives extend the flavor and shelf life of the commercial kibble, but they are not nutritionally valuable to dogs. The AAFCO has also established that the fresh pet food options are human grade. Most top-tier options are also cleared by the USDA for safety purposes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do vets recommend fresh dog food?
At present many vets still feel that feeding dogs raw food may lead to many health risks for the dogs and people. That is because of the potential for salmonella and listeria contamination.
What is the number one healthiest dog food?
The Farmer’s dog is said to be the healthiest dog food option. All the possibilities are human-grade level, and no preservatives are used. Each meal plan is also customized for the dog, depending on its needs.
Is Freshpet food safe for dogs?
Freshpet is great for dogs because it uses ingredients which are have been tested for their nutrient levels. The diet is also said to help dogs maintain a healthy weight because of the digestibility of the food. Freshpet has also received no reports of illness or adverse reactions.
Which fresh dog food is most affordable?
PetPlate is the most affordable fresh dog food option as their full meal subscriptions begin at $2.5 per day or $75 a day. Its topper plan is also $1.11 per day.