FYI: we may earn a commission for qualified purchases made through the links in our articles (learn more).
- Before preparing treats, even simple and healthy desserts for dogs, make sure that your pup is not allergic to any of the ingredients that your will use.
- Avoid toxic ingredients such as chocolate, xylitol (these can be found in some nut butters), and raisins. Sugar is also generally unhealthy for dogs, so find alternatives like carob and a little bit of honey.
- Although you can give your dog tasty snacks like chicken dog treats, there are healthier options such as fruit and vegetable slices such as apples, watermelon, cooked sweet potatoes, bananas, carrots, and more, which you can also use as ingredients for baking doggie cookies and cupcakes.
What says that you love your dog more than making him his own desserts? While chocolate is commonly connected with desserts mainly, it’s poisonous for dogs. Luckily, there are plenty of other foods you can share as a sweet treat with your furry fellow.
I love baking or preparing healthy, sweet treats that my dog loves. I always make a big batch and freeze the rest to give to them another day—as a reward or simply as a snack. Here are three easy and healthy homemade dog treats you can make in order to make your furry friend happy and swing his tail uncontrollably.
Note that before preparing any of these dog treat recipes you must make sure that Fido does not have any dog allergies. When making dog treats, we want to make our pooches feel nice and not the contrary.
Berries and Cream
Berries of all kinds are safe for dogs . Spoon your favorite over plain nonfat yogurt. (My dog Nala is partial to blueberries – but half the fun is finding out which berry is your dog’s favorite.)
There are three ways you can serve this treat:
1. Fresh in your dog’s bowl; or
2. For bite-sized treats you can store, spoon the mixture into an ice cube tray and freeze it overnight; or
3. Mix the berries and yogurt, then freeze it inside a rubber toy for a fun and tasty treat (that’s what Nala is enjoying in the photo). Check out our list on the best indestructible dog toys out there.
Carob is a healthy alternative to chocolate that is safe for dogs to eat. Carob chips and powder, found at most health food stores, can be substituted for chocolate chips and cocoa powder in just about any recipe.
For this dessert, mix half a cup of plain yogurt with a teaspoon of carob powder. Remove the stem and leaves from strawberries, then dip them in the carob-yogurt mix.
Peanut Butter-Carob Kisses
This isn’t one of my custom recipes, but it’s too good not to share. This is one of my favorite peanut butter dog treats to make that comes courtesy of the Dog Treat Recipe Exchange. These are yummy little cookies that are made more festive when cut with a heart-shaped cookie cutter.
2 cups whole wheat flour or oat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup carob chips
1 cup natural peanut butter, smooth or chunky (make sure it’s xylitol free)
1 cup milk
1/4 cup of honey
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix flour and baking powder in a large bowl and set aside. In a smaller bowl, combine peanut butter, milk, eggs and honey. Once it is well-mixed, add the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Mix with a hand beater. Add carob chips and stir until blended. Drop dough by the spoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for around 20 minutes. Let stand for 1 minute, then remove from pan and let them cool on a cookie rack.
While you sip champagne and feast on chocolate-covered strawberries, your dog can enjoy a pup-friendly treat of his or her own.
What better way is there to celebrate your love for your dog than with sweet treats and its company?
Related article: How To Make Fresh Dog Food
What desserts are safe for dogs?
Berries and yoghurt, carob-covered strawberries, and peanutbutter-flavored cookies and cupcakes are some healthy desserts you can share with dogs. Double check that these do not any ingredients that are toxic to dogs. You can also give them plain sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and fresh fruits.
What is the healthiest treat for a dog?
The healthiest treats for a dog are fruit and vegetable slices such as apples, watermelon, cooked sweet potatoes, bananas, carrots, and more
What homemade treats can dogs eat?
Berries and yoghurt, carob-covered strawberries, and peanutbutter-flavored cookies and cupcakes are some healthy homemade treats dogs can eat.
What treats should I make my dog?
There are many treats you can make for your dog and they can be as simple as chicken meat slices, livers, fruit and vegetable slices, peanut butter, yoghurt, and more.